Thursday, September 12, 2024

09/10/2024-09/12/2024

 09/10/2024: Today we had a very productive brainstorming session. We came up with a wide range of ideas and grouped them into categories, from trash cans to jewelry to chairs. While we were brainstorming, we were given a pomelo to snack on. One of my groupmates cut it open in an unusual way, and we ended up playing around with it for a bit. Someone joked that we should make the pomelo our project, and that’s when we noticed the pith had a soft, almost paper-like texture. This sparked the idea to dry out the pomelo pith and create something from it. We decided to continue exploring other ideas in case this didn’t work out, but as the skin dried, it started feeling even more like paper. After doing some research, I found that people have successfully made paper from pomelo skin before, so I’m feeling optimistic. Even if the pomelo skin doesn’t end up being our final project for the program, I think it could make for an interesting side project I’d like to pursue.


09/11/2024: Today, we made our way to Taichung, stopping at several places along the journey. One of the highlights was visiting a tea museum where they explained the intricate tea-making process. Normally, I’m not the biggest fan of drinking straight tea—I tend to prefer it with milk or sugar—but today gave me a newfound appreciation for the drink. We got to sample a variety of teas, and for the first time, I could really distinguish between the different flavor profiles. One had a deeper richness compared to the others, while another had a distinctly floral and fruity taste. It’s interesting because when I usually drink tea, I don’t give much thought to these subtleties, but with the explanations provided, it became much clearer. I started thinking about tea in a way I never had before, appreciating not only the taste but also the craftsmanship that goes into producing it.



We also visited a bamboo workshop and factory, where we got to see how bamboo is turned into various products. Watching the process unfold, from raw bamboo to finished goods, really highlighted how sustainable this material is. Bamboo is fast-growing and eco-friendly, which makes it an excellent resource for creating durable products. I found it fascinating to observe the artisans at work, and I couldn't resist buying something for myself – a beautifully crafted mug made from recycled bamboo materials. However, this experience also made me think more deeply about consumerism. Even though the items were made from recycled or sustainable materials, I couldn’t help but reflect on the fact that, at the end of the day, I was still contributing to consumption. No matter how eco-friendly the process, products inevitably lead to waste at some point. I started to wonder what happens when the mug I bought breaks or is no longer useful. Can it be recycled or repurposed again, or will it eventually just add to the growing problem of waste? This thought brought me back to some of my thoughts from earlier in the week, when I was reflecting on the same question.

09/12/2024: The highlight of today was visiting the bamboo workshop and making our own bamboo mug or vase. We spent three hours working on this, carefully weaving everything by hand. It took a lot of time to create something so small and intricate, and while it took us longer since we’re amateurs, this process still requires a lot of time and skill even for more experienced artisans, especially when making larger products. Despite the challenge, it was a really enjoyable and relaxing experience. I loved having the chance to work with my hands, particularly since I didn’t get to do much of that in our last project. The more hands-on workshops we do, the more I find myself gaining a deeper appreciation for the artisans who dedicate themselves to mastering these crafts. It’s clear that this work requires immense skill and patience, and I have a lot of respect for those who do it every day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

09/17/2024-09/21/2024

Over the past few days, our focus has been mostly on the project. After discovering that the pomelo material could be molded around objects,...